Proper caretaking is done together

Let us know about issues as they arise

Malfunctions, defects, terminating your contract, deposits etc.

Proper caretaking is done together, we depend on you the tenant for this too. We do our utmost to ensure the correct maintenance of a building however sometimes things may break which form a hindrance to tenants. To resolve these issues as quickly and correctly as possible these should be reported to us in a timely manner. On this page you will find information about the maintenance of your residence, which maintenance works we carry out and advice and tips relating to maintenance you are responsible for.


Click here for the termination request form


Additionally, you will find information on terminating your contract, payment of rent,  deposit reimbursements and local taxes on this page.

Let us know about malfunctions and defects

Problems in a building are usually noticed by the tenants first. We depend on you to let us know about issues as they arise as we can only resolve these once they are known to us. Let us know about issues as they occur that way we can resolve them in an efficient manner.


Malfunctions or defects

To report malfunctions or defects simply fill out the contact form on our website or send an email to


Urgent matters during office hours

For urgent matters during office hours please phone us on +31(0)43 351 0153 from Monday to Friday 09:00 to 12:30 | 13:30 to 17:30.


Urgent matters outside of office hours

Outside of office hours we are reachable on an (rotating) emergency number. The emergency number can be heard at the end of the voicemail message when calling our regular phone number +31(0)43 351 0153 outside of office hours. By calling this number you can report your emergency, should no one answer please leave a voicemail message (always mention your name, address, the problem  and the number we can reach you on).


This number is only to be used in the case of emergencies, such as, for example no heating in the winter or a big leak in the house.

Rental payments

Rental payments should be made monthly and should always be paid before the first of the month. The rent is always paid in advance (eg. the rent for April is paid by the 31st of March at the latest). This can either be transferred to us monthly paid to the account below or by automatic collection.


BIC-code: RABO NL 2 U

IBAN-code: NL 22 RABO 0 131385674

Ascribed to: Huizen Beheer Maastricht


To avoid receiving reminders or incurring additional fees always ensure that payments are made in a timely fashion. Should you not be able to fulfil your payment obligations let us know by phoning during office hours.

Service fees and deposits

Service fees are paid as an addition to the rental price. These fees are generally intended for communal expenses for example the maintenance of general areas,  the lighting of hallways and stairwells, cleaning, garden maintenance etc... If your accommodation does not have its own meters for gas, water and electricity, these costs are divided and calculated in the service fees.


Deposit returns

Upon commencement of your rental contract a deposit should be paid. Normally the deposit amounts to one and a half times the monthly rental fee. Once your rental contract has been terminated the deposit is reimbursed (possible reductions for outstanding rent and/or other charges) within 56 days due to the legal limit on transaction reversals. For example: Your contract is officially terminated per the 31st of January, in this case your deposit should be reimbursed before the 1st of April.

Your contract can be terminated by filling out the termination request form found below, after which you should receive written confirmation from us within a few workdays.


Terminate your contract on time

You can terminate your contract on any day of the month bearing in mind the minimal notice period of one calendar month. Should you, for example, wish to end your contract per the 31st of December you should notify us before the 30th of November.  Of course should you already have plans to move you may let us know


Making an appointment for the check out inspection.

After you have terminated your rental contract you should receive a written confirmation letter containing a detailed explanation of what steps to take. We will also ask you to contact us to set a date for the check out inspection and the key handover.


Click here for the termination request form

Terminating your rental agreement

Defects and malfunctions: electricity

In many cases you the tenant can solve electricity problems yourself. Firstly it is important to know what kind of fuse box is installed. There are typically two types of fuses: modern breaker switches (top photo) and screw-in fuses (bottom photo).


When do fuse blow or the switches trip?

  • Due to a short-circuit in an electrical appliance or a power-line.
  • Due to an over demand caused by too many appliances on the same electrical group.


The power has cut out in the entire building

  1. Check the earth leakage circuit breaker(ELCB).
  2. If the ELCB is OFF or on 0 switch this to ON or 1.
  3. If the ELCB keeps tripping to OFF or 0, switch all groups off, switch the ELCB to ON or 1 and switch each group back on one by one.
  4. The ELCB will trip when the group causing the problem is switched back on. It is likely that a defective electrical appliance is the cause, unplug all appliances and switch the group back on. To identify the defective appliance plug them in one by one.


There is a power cut in part of the building: screw-in fuses

  1. When replacing the blown fuses switch the group off first. After this is done the fuse can be unscrewed and the fuse replaced. You can see if the fuse needs replacing by looking if the metal ‘spring’ has sprung out of the fuse under the glass.
  2. If the fuse blows again an electrical appliance is likely defective. Unplug all the appliances and plug them back in one by one to find the defective appliance.


 There is a power cut in part of the building: breaker switches

  1. If one of the switches is in the downward position, activate the group by moving the switch to the upward position.
  2. If the switch trips to the downward position there is likely a defective appliance connected to the group. Unplug all appliances and plug these back in one by one to find the faulty appliance.


You cant resolve the issue yourself?

In the eventuality that you cannot resolve the issue yourself please contact us. Please bear in mind that the cause and responsibility for the malfunction is often due to the users. To avoid unnecessary fees we advise you to run through the above steps first to rule them out.

Defects and malfunctions: smoke detectors

Smoke detectors are an important aspect of the fire safety measures in the building and warn you and your housemates when smoke is detected. Sometimes however they can be triggered without smoke being present. Besides smoke, the detectors can be sensitive to dust, steam or aerosols. Is there no fire but your alarms are ringing? Follow the steps below.


The alarm in one room is activated

  1. Ensure that all smoke in the room can escape where the fire detector is hung by opening doors and windows.
  2. When the smoke has cleared press the ‘Test&Hush’ button on the detector to reset it.


Multiple smoke detectors in the building are activated

  1. Locate the detector that has been triggered, this can be recognized by a red LED light blinking.
  2. Ensure that all smoke in the room can escape where the fire detector is hung by opening doors and windows.
  3. When the smoke has cleared press the ‘Test&Hush’ button on the detector to reset it.


Does the detector produce a beep tone every 40 seconds whilst displaying a blinking red LED light?

 The battery in the detector is almost empty and needs replacing. See ‘battery replacement’


Does the detector produce a beep tone but the red LED light doesn’t blink at the same time?

This means the smoke detector is dirty and should be cleaned. Dust can be removed by wiping the detector with a cloth or using a vacuum cleaner.


Does the detector produce a beep tone every 40 seconds without displaying a green LED light?

If the green light is not displayed the detector is working on battery power. The battery is an extra back up ensuring the detector can work during a power outage. Please contact us if this happens.

Battery replacement of smoke detector

If the detector produces a beeping tone every 40 seconds whilst simultaneously displaying a blinking red LED light the battery is empty.


  1. On the side of the detector you should find a text stating ‘press a screwdriver in the groove en press the detector away’. By using a screwdriver you can release the safety seal.
  2. Slide the detector from the baseplate fastened to the ceiling.
  3. Remove the battery and replace the 9v block battery.
  4. Reposition the detector on the baseplate and click it in place.
  5. Check if everything is properly connected!
  6. Switch the power on (the green LED should light up) and test the detector by pressing the button.

Resolving blocked drains

A blocked drain can be cause by various things such as soap residue, food items, hair etc… being caught in the drain. You can resolve these yourself in most cases that way avoiding extra costs.


You can relieve blocked drains by using soda and vinegar, a plunger or by using chemical drain clearers (available in supermarkets). If you choose to use a drain clearer we advise you to always use a liquid drain clearer and to follow the instruction label. These products are often aggressive and may not work in every case.


You cant resolve the issue on your own? Contact us through the form on our website or send us an email

Bleeding radiators of air

if you hear strange gurgling or tapping sounds from the radiators this could be caused by air being trapped in the system. This causes the radiators to not warm properly and the solution is to bleed the radiators of air.


  1. Turn the radiators on for at least 10 minutes. This allows the air to collect at the bleeding vent.
  2. Turn the thermostat as low as possible and remove the plug from the boiler.
  3. Start with the lowest radiator in your house and progressively work your way up, ending with the radiator located at the highest point.
  4. Close the tap to the radiator you will be working on.
  5. Hold a towel to the bleeding vent and open it slowly with a bleed key. Once water comes out close the vent.
  6. After all radiators have been bled, plug in the central heating system (CV), open the radiator thermostats and set them to the desired temperature.
  7. Check the water pressure of the CV, it should be between 0,8 and 1,8 bar. If the pressure is too low it should be filled.


Are your radiators not getting warm enough? The water pressure of your central heating system (CV) will likely be too low. Before reporting the malfunction to us it is useful to check the water pressure. If the water pressure is lower than 0,8 bar you should first fill it with water to a maximum of 1,8 bar.


  1. Unplug the CV.
  2. Allow the CV to cool to roughly 40 degrees.
  3. Make sure you have a towel, a bucket and a mop handy.
  4. Couple the fill lead to the water tap.
  5. Remove the seal of the CV fill tap.
  6. Fill the lead with water and couple this to the CV fill tap.
  7. Open the CV fill tap.
  8. Open the water tap and fill the CV to 1,8 bar.
  9. Close the water tap when the desired pressure has been reached.
  10. Close the CV fill tap.
  11. Bleed the CV and radiators of air.
  12. If necessary fill the CV again to reach 1,8 bar.
  13. Disconnect the lead connectors.
  14. Place the seal back onto the CV fill tap.
  15. Let the water run out of the lead, making sure to store this without any water remaining inside.
  16. Plug the CV back in.

Preventing moisture, ventilating well

Moisture is constantly produced inside a house through evaporation. People, pets and plants produce moisture but also this also happens by cooking, showering and drying clothes, on average about ten to fifteen litres of moisture is produced per day in a home. Moisture can cause a number of issues, the solution? Ventilating well!


Ventilating every day

Moisture in a home is noticed by a stuffy feeling, condensation on windows or (in the worst case) wet walls and/or mold on ceilings. You can prevent these issues by venting the house well through opening windows, ventilation grids or (if present) mechanical ventilation. Ensure the ventilation openings are open in the kitchen and bathrooms that way fresh air enters and the moisture containing air can escape. Ventilation is essential in every building and should be done everyday to ensure a healthy environment.


Tips for a healthy environment in the home

  • Ensure that the temperature doesn’t get lower than 15-16 degrees, even when no one is home.
  • Ventilate during cooking (and atleast 15min afterwards) to remove moister from the house. If you have a ventilation hood make sure it is used on the highest setting when cooking and running on a lower setting for at least 15min afterwards. Best results are achieved by switching these on a quarter of an hour before cooking.
  • Ensure proper ventilation when showering and atleast half an hour afterwards. Even in cold weather an opening of at least a fingers width is necessary for proper ventilation. By wiping down the walls and floor after showering you can reduce moisture in the house by up to two litres.
  • If your house is damp don’t place furniture on the outer walls, a few centimeters between the furniture and walls is enough for proper air circulation preventing condensation.
  • Dry clothes outside or use a dryer which removes the moister directly outside or condensation.
  • Ventilation grids and valves can get blocked and require frequent cleaning.

BsGW (Municipal and water authority taxes)

The BsGW sends out invoices on behalf of the municipality and water authority for its taxes. These taxes are for things such as, sewage, garbage removal and water purification levies. These taxes are generally sent out around February/ March. Below you will find more information about these invoices, handing in an official objection and how to request an exemption.


Non-independent accommodation (student rooms / group houses)

When renting a non-independent accommodation (student rooms) or when you live in a 'group house' the invoice, in most cases will be sent to the owner. The owner is legally allowed to forward a share of these taxes (user share) to the tenants (users). Not all owners will forward these taxes to their tenants but should they choose to you will need to pay these.


Independent accommodation (apartment, studio etc)

As a tenant of an independent accommodation with 2 persons or less (apartment or studio) you (or your flatmate) will receive an invoice from the BsGW directly each year. You are responsible for paying this invoice directly to them.


Lodging an objection

Should you receive an invoice from the BsGW and you feel this should be directed to someone else (for example to the owner or a different tenant) you should contact the BsGW directly to lodge your objection. Please understand that lodging an objection will not delay the payment deadline.


Requesting an exemption (only independent accommodations)

If you have received an invoice from the BsGW directly addressed to you, you may be eligible to request an exemption. Should your income or capital gains be below a certain threshold set by the BsGW you should fill out the required forms which can be request on the BsGW’s website.


Please consider that the person to whom the invoice is addressed is also responsible for the payment to the BsGW. The BsGW has a fairly strict payment policy so we advise you to pay in a timely manner, this also in the case of lodging objections or requesting an exemption to avoid any undue increases or fines.

Huizen Beheer Maastricht B.V.

Heerderdwarsstraat 43

6224LS Maastricht